Send Topic Print
(Read 2026 times)
Aussie
Forum Newbies

Getting Married!

Help Budget wedding in Queenstown
Oct 22nd, 2012, 3:59pm

Hi
We are planning on a June wedding in Queenstown and trying to organise it from Australia, approx 150 guests. We are on a very tight budget and would love some ideas on venues, open to halls, clubs etc but would then need suggestions for caterers. Or somewhere that does the lot for a set price per head, excluding flowers of course.
Thanks Lynne

IP Logged

scritch

Getting Married!

Re: Help Budget wedding in Queenstown
Reply #1 - Oct 30th, 2012, 4:15pm

june is winter festival month, so best get accommodation booked now

IP Logged

Patrick Fallon

My girl and I
Queenstown New Zealand
Reply #2 - Nov 14th, 2012, 2:35pm

Hi Lynne,

You picked a great spot to get married!  I still think Queenstown is beautiful every single day after living here for 20 years.  And it's gorgeous in winter.

Check out http://www.fallon-weddings.co.nz/queenstown-wedding-venues (a page on Queenstown wedding venues on my wedding blog) for info on Queenstown wedding venues and get in touch if you'd like more info.

If you're on a tight budget I would consider the following venues;

Canyon's Lodge (they can do the ceremony & maybe the reception too but would need a marquis for 150 guests)

Lake Hayes Recreation Reserve for the ceremony and Lake Hayes Pavilion for the reception (only 1km away.  I've shot a reception at the pavilion before, I'm pretty sure it was 100 guests, not sure if you could fit in 150).

Queenstown Gardens for the ceremony - possibly Skyline Restaurant and Gondola for the reception?

Thurlby Domain for the ceremony - possibly Lake Hayes Pavilion for the reception?

Peregrine Winery do a limited number of weddings a year and they are perfect for both ceremony and reception (they have some old stables that they use for receptions.  No heating/air conditioning though...)

Skyline Gondola & Restaurant (they could do the ceremony and reception.  They do a buffet which I imagine would be relatively affordable.  Overall not sure how affordable an option Skyline would be but they can do everything and it's downtown Queenstown so no transport required if you and your guests are staying in town).

There are a number of local caterers who could take care of food - I'd try Flying Trestles or Mash Catering (Riverton).  They are fully mobile (used to catering for TV commercials in the middle of nowhere and their food is excellent).  I hope this helps - if you have any questions fire away and I'll do my best to answer them!

Take care,
Patrick

fallon wedding photography - simple, romantic, beautiful
www.fallon.co.nz
WWW patrickfallon  
IP Logged

mozart
Forum Newbies

Getting Married!

Reply #3 - Dec 3rd, 2012, 7:52am

Hi I would suggest to contact Ann Mann of Mann made catering.
She will be able to adjust the venue to suit your budget.
There are other caterers, check out the Queenstown Wedding Association.
A nice winter venue is the Wine house and Kitchen

IP Logged

Patrick Fallon

My girl and I
Queenstown New Zealand
Reply #4 - Dec 3rd, 2012, 1:32pm

Hi Lynne,

I went to a wedding this past weekend that had the best food I have ever eaten at a wedding - and as a wedding photographer I've eaten at a few!
The company is called Delicious Cooking and you can get hold of them via their website www.deliciouscooking.co.nz.  (This website is actually for the cooking classes they run but if you call them I'm sure they can send you info and prices for wedding catering).  I have actually known both the girls at Delicious Cooking for a few years now but didn't realise they were catering for weddings these days.  They were so good I would happily recommend them to anyone - give Glynnie (the chef) or Heather a call and see if they can help you.  
The venue for this wedding might also be of interest to you.  The wedding was held at the Paradise Trust near Glenorchy, this is about one and a quarter hour's drive from Queenstown.  It's a stunning venue for a rustic styled wedding and all the guests (45) stayed on site in either the old farmhouse rooms or in back-country style huts.  It was an awesome wedding venue and I have a feeling it might be quite affordable.  Glynnie at Delicous Cooking will be able to give you advice and info on this too or at least put you in touch with the right people.
I hope this helps.
Patrick
PS I was there as a guest not a photographer for a change but I did take a few snaps of the wedding in Paradise.  You can check them out at http://www.fallon-weddings.co.nz/2012/12/02/wedding-in-paradise/

www.fallon.co.nz
WWW patrickfallon  
IP Logged

DJ Richard Mills
God Member

Forum Mentor
Wellington, Nationwide
Reply #5 - Dec 3rd, 2012, 2:08pm

Hi Lynne, Queenstown on a tight budget is very tricky indeed, especially during Winter festival week when a lot of venues and accommodation will be well booked. I've entertained at a number of venues down there, but mostly the upper-end ones. Perhaps consider some of the hotels? Most of them have function rooms and might be not too pricey.

WWW DJ Richard Mills DJ Richard Mills <a href=  
IP Logged

Patrick Fallon

My girl and I
Queenstown New Zealand
Reply #6 - Jan 6th, 2013, 10:20am

Hi Lynne,

How did you get on with venues for your Queenstown wedding - any luck?  And are you sorted for accommodation?  Let us know if you still need suggestions/info.

Cheers,
Patrick

www.fallon.co.nz
WWW patrickfallon  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print