Pages: 1 2 3 ... 25
Send Topic Print
(Read 56469 times)
Mrs REMK
God Member

arohanui
Dukan Diet
Jul 28th, 2010, 9:45pm

I started this diet two days ago.... and whilst I'm lying here feeling like a meat gut sloth, I thought I'd see if there's anyone else out there suffering through this.

ALLEGEDLY it's wonderfully successful.

Given that I'm a doctor, I can see the glaring holes in the theory.

The way it works is you spend 7-10 days eating only lean protein, eggs and oatbran, and drinking 2l of water a day. (lean protein = lean meats, seafood, diet yoghurt, light cheese e.g. ricotta, quark, and skim milk).
NOTHING else (including vegetables, which every other diet on the planet allows!)

Then after that you alternate protein only days with days that allow green vegetables for a further 7-10 days.

Then after that you continue to eat the lean protein and vegetables 6 days a week, with only lean protein 1 day a week, and two "anything" meals a week (where you can finally have some alcohol).

Phew. It's very complicated and not that convincing. I doubt I'll last that long... the meat gut is killing me!

IP Logged

MF+MJ
Ex Member

Re: Dukan Diet
Reply #1 - Jul 28th, 2010, 10:28pm

God that sounds absolutely horrendous. I suppose it's aim is to send your body into ketosis (prob spelled that wrong) and you would just start losing muscle mass which most people would see as numbers on the scale rather than what it really is.

IP Logged

Mrs E
God Member

OMT!

Reply #2 - Jul 28th, 2010, 10:36pm

Yuck, I can't imagine eating protein for seven days straight with no veges or fruit ... it almost sounds like it would send your body into overload!

I'd be interested to know how you go, but I'm always very wary of diets that disallow certain foods.

IP Logged

Forever ET
God Member

27/11/2010. Kumeu Valley
Estate
Auckland
Reply #3 - Jul 28th, 2010, 10:41pm

Haha sounds like my dinner at Wildfire the other night - i swear i had a meat hangover the next day haha...

Sorry i know that wasnt very constructive - doesnt really sound like my cup of tea - ill stick to the all in moderation/portion control food plan Smiley

Good Luck - let us know how you fare  Smiley

To love, laughter and happily ever after...

IP Logged

Daisy K
God Member

Married!

Reply #4 - Jul 28th, 2010, 10:59pm

I lasted half a day on the Atkins, Dukan sounds similar.

Can I just say though that you look wonderful in your wedding photos and even if you've gained a bit of weight (which seems to happen to a few of us  Wink) I imagine you still look fab  Smiley and don't really need to put yourself through this diet.

In saying that if it's for "what happens if i do this ..." then go crazy with the cheese whiz!   Grin

IP Logged

persico
God Member

Getting Married!

Reply #5 - Jul 29th, 2010, 12:23am

Not vegetarian friendly really - I don't think I could fathom that much tofu or light cheeses or heaps of eggs...especially if you couldn't flavour them with anything!

I eat a lot of eggs already...

Certainly a test of endurance and mind-power!

&&...&&&&

IP Logged

Mrs REMK
God Member

arohanui
Reply #6 - Jul 29th, 2010, 12:35am

persico wrote on Jul 29th, 2010, 12:23am:
Not vegetarian friendly really - I don't think I could fathom that much tofu or light cheeses or heaps of eggs...especially if you couldn't flavour them with anything!

I eat a lot of eggs already...

Certainly a test of endurance and mind-power!

I am struggling. Off to have some more greek yoghurt

IP Logged

girlygirl
God Member

Auckland
Reply #7 - Jul 29th, 2010, 8:46am

FH and I have just started the Atkins diet - FH wants to loose 35kg and I need to loose about 15.  Finding it interesting, but quite tough.... normally I follow the "see food" diet... ie see food and eat it!!!

Cheesy  Grin

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

IP Logged

Isaac de Reus
God Member

Perspectives Photo + Cinema

Reply #8 - Jul 29th, 2010, 9:25am

Just did some reading up on the Dukan diet online.

It actually looks quite convincing, to me. Similar to Atkins - but without the fat, which has to be a good thing - considering my arteries must already be unhappy with me.

I'm half considering giving it a try.. protein only seems do-able, theoretically. I know Amber wouldn't manage (being mostly a veggie) - but I think if you had enough variation in the protein to stop it becoming too boring - it might work.

Hmmmn.

IP Logged

Just
God Member

Married
North Shore Auckland
Reply #9 - Jul 29th, 2010, 9:53am

You're a doctor and you're following a fad diet? Hmm, interesting...  Tongue

I couldn't do it, if I don't have veges for a day or two I get mad cravings, specially for broccoli.

I tried the south beach diet once, it was actually pretty good.

... Wedding Ticker from WhenIsMyWedding.com

IP Logged

NowaMrs
God Member

Married to my fantastic
man

Reply #10 - Jul 29th, 2010, 10:51am

Cravings for broccoli?? haha sorry that made me giggle!! (I love broccoli but think if I was on a diet I'd be craving other yummies!!!)

I can't do diets I love food tooooo much!

IP Logged

Just
God Member

Married
North Shore Auckland
Reply #11 - Jul 29th, 2010, 12:18pm

I know, its weird! Its only if I don't eat veges every day tho.

... Wedding Ticker from WhenIsMyWedding.com

IP Logged

Hayhay
God Member

Happily married!
New York (hometown Auckland)
Reply #12 - Jul 29th, 2010, 12:35pm

Oh there's no way I could do this! I can't handle not eating veges, even if we go away for a weekend I get back and just end up cooking a heap of veges for dinner (you know how when you go away you really let your 5+ a day go?) Plus, I'm not a big meat person - will eat chicken or fish, but not all that often.

Mrs REMK this probably isn't what you want to hear, but do you really need to do that? Can't be great for the digestion, for starters, and you're so tiny looking, I just think it's too much to put yourself through! (Um, that goes for everyone, not just tiny-looking people).  Tongue

IP Logged

Bibbs
God Member

Getting Married!

Reply #13 - Jul 29th, 2010, 1:16pm

It sounds horrid. Just thinking about it, i would be sooo sick if i tried it. Fresh vegies and fruit are essential for me everyday to stay well so if i cut them out .... Golly. Maybe it will work. Or at least you'll gain experience from it and know to try talk your patients out of it in the future.

IP Logged

Mrs REMK
God Member

arohanui
Reply #14 - Jul 29th, 2010, 2:24pm

Hayhay wrote on Jul 29th, 2010, 12:35pm:
Oh there's no way I could do this! I can't handle not eating veges, even if we go away for a weekend I get back and just end up cooking a heap of veges for dinner (you know how when you go away you really let your 5+ a day go?) Plus, I'm not a big meat person - will eat chicken or fish, but not all that often.

Mrs REMK this probably isn't what you want to hear, but do you really need to do that? Can't be great for the digestion, for starters, and you're so tiny looking, I just think it's too much to put yourself through! (Um, that goes for everyone, not just tiny-looking people).  Tongue

why?

Fibre content is perfectly fine, and water aids digestion.  You're not restricting portions, so your "metabolism" won't slow down..

:p

Oh, and whoever made the rude comment about a Doctor doing a diet..

a medical doctor designed this diet.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 25
Send Topic Print