(Read 1582 times)
Forever ET
God Member

27/11/2010. Kumeu Valley
Estate
Auckland
Engagement Party Dress...
May 21st, 2009, 7:21pm

My engagement party is on the 6th of June and i dont know what to wear... we are having an afternoon gathering of family and older guests (plus some really close friends) and then a night gathering with all our other friends...

I want to wear a dress - and want to get a new one... so i have a couple of questions, if anyone can provide advice i would be over the moon...  Cheesy

1. Should i go for a winterish dress, i.e. with longer sleeves or should i just go with a lil cocktail dress and a trusty cardie (& possibly tights if its too cold)??

2. Has anyone seen any dresses that are gorgeous but appropriate for a afternoon and night gathering??

To love, laughter and happily ever after...

IP Logged

_Sunshine_
God Member

Re: Engagement Party Dress...
Reply #1 - May 21st, 2009, 7:38pm

Oh Cue has some seriously CUTE dresses at the mo!

IP Logged

tinkermybelle
God Member

Married 6/02/2009!
lower hutt
Reply #2 - May 21st, 2009, 7:45pm

We had a early summer bbq but dh n I decided to dress up in 1920's typ get up

engagement_018.jpg (178 KB | 170 )
engagement_018.jpg

IP Logged

tinkermybelle
God Member

Married 6/02/2009!
lower hutt
Reply #3 - May 21st, 2009, 7:46pm

and....you cant really see me though

engagement_024.jpg (92 KB | 59 )
engagement_024.jpg

IP Logged

MrsB2B
God Member

Reply #4 - May 21st, 2009, 8:46pm

We just had the same thing and I had the same dilemma.
I ended up buying a totally cute dress from Kate Sylvester which dressed up nicely with heels for the party with the oldies and then I changed to boots when we went out after with the youngies.  
A bit of a splurge but it was our special night Smiley  We're having engagement party number two this weekend (split cities) and I'm going to recycle so cost per wear is getting down a bit Smiley

_Sunshine_ is right too though, Cue has some fantastic dresses, kind of alice in wonderland, though a little too on the dressie side for my parties.

wedding countdown

IP Logged

BellaVonTeese
God Member

Auckland
Reply #5 - May 21st, 2009, 8:53pm

lol I wore the only dress that fit me he he

must try that one on again and see what it looks like now!

27 November 2009 - St John the Baptist Parnell & Mantells

IP Logged

Hayhay
God Member

Happily married!
New York (hometown Auckland)
Reply #6 - May 22nd, 2009, 7:04am

Ah. Well I don't know what's available at home right now but I am now kind of an expert at dressing up when it's cold, as 'cold' is England's default setting (usually 'cold', sometimes 'bloody bloody cold', very occasionally 'hmmm, warm?'

Anyway - for our engagement party last winter (dinner then drinking) I wore a grey shift dress, black tights, black heels, and a tight black cardy.

For something a little more 'party' I wore a black cocktail dress last Christmas party, with tights, red shoes, black tux jacket on top.

So either of those sort of styles could be a good way to go if it's cold! I would definitely recommend getting a sleeveless/short sleeve dress and layering - far more flexible.

Good luck! Post when you've got it! Smiley

IP Logged

snuggly
God Member

Reply #7 - May 22nd, 2009, 8:48am

I had my Auckland engagement party on a warmish September afternoon, but was incredibly sick. I had planned to wear a little summer type dress but ended up wearing a thermal singlet and stockings underneath, and a cardy and later scarf and ugg boots to top it off. So if you choose a summer dress make sure it's one you can layer up!

Here I am in the middle, smiling pretending not to be sick:

And this was the ridiculously adorable dress I wore to my Sydney engagement party - dress from Four Fontaine:

IP Logged

Evelyn
God Member

Married!

Reply #8 - May 22nd, 2009, 9:40am

I dont have any pictures from our engagement party Sad

IP Logged

Danz
God Member

** 23 October 201 **

Reply #9 - May 22nd, 2009, 10:48am

I hav the same problem Evelyn!
We hav lots of pix of our party, of me and others or him and others. But only 1 of us togetha!! (Cutting our engag cake). So gutted  Sad

IP Logged

MyBess
God Member

Getting Married!
Christchurch
Reply #10 - May 22nd, 2009, 11:52am

You're lucky you get to choose - our engagement party was a surprise!   My Mum was in Christchurch for the weekend to help me with my search for a wedding dress.  So we decided to have a celebratory dinner with my FH's Mum I Dad while she was there.  Mum did drop some hints that afternoon 'are you sure you don't want to dress up for dinner' - I'm like, ahhh, no - its just the FPIL type scenario.  So we rocked on over to 'dinner' in our shorts and t-shirts and low behold about 30 odd people turned up.  I was quietly horrified.  Anyway, I nipped home and changed into something a little more suitable.

a wedding website

IP Logged

Evelyn
God Member

Married!

Reply #11 - May 22nd, 2009, 12:02pm

Danz wrote on May 22nd, 2009, 10:48am:
I hav the same problem Evelyn!
We hav lots of pix of our party, of me and others or him and others. But only 1 of us togetha!! (Cutting our engag cake). So gutted  Sad

No - I have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.
We didnt have a camera at that stage, and nobody thought to take any photos.

IP Logged

snuggly
God Member

Reply #12 - May 22nd, 2009, 12:51pm

Evelyn, I only have 3 photos from my Australian engagement party, and they're of me with a couple of random friends. It was fun but not very formal so I'm not too upset.

Karlag, I can imagine being quietly horrified too! But it was definitely a lovely gesture. I remember being upset before my Auckland engagement party because I was sick and unable to plan decorations and fancy outfits, but what really made the party in the end was having so many family and friends there.

IP Logged

Forever ET
God Member

27/11/2010. Kumeu Valley
Estate
Auckland
Reply #13 - May 22nd, 2009, 2:01pm

Hmmm.. time to hit the mall i am thinking... or maybe newmarket... if i layer then i can get a dress which i might actually wear again... im a dress slut - usually only get one event out of a dress - always want a new one for the next event...

I shant be having any problems with no piccies... i am like the paparzzi with my camera... as are a couple of my other friends... as i recently took 450ish photos at a friends wedding...

To love, laughter and happily ever after...

IP Logged

Danz
God Member

** 23 October 201 **

Reply #14 - May 22nd, 2009, 2:09pm

Mak sure u get a few nice ones of you and FH together!!!!!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print